You may be surprised when you receive your first bill to see eight or more line items! Our bills can look a little complicated, but rest assured that these costs are not new. They have so far been included in your daily supply charge which you can find here, or in the usage prices that you have been seeing in the app.
We expand these costs out more in our bills because we want to be totally transparent with our customers about what they are paying for. We promise we still only charge you $10 a month and the wholesale prices, but these wholesale prices are made up of smaller costs that accumulate throughout the journey electricity goes on from when it is generated, to when it is powering your TV. Chris - one of our CEO's, wrote a pretty detailed blog about this here if you feel like diving deeper into the intricacies of electricity prices! It could help you understand your bill better, or at the very least, give you some very specific knowledge to impress your friends with!
Our bills change slightly from person to person, depending on what network you are on, what plan you are on with Amber or if you have solar or controlled load. However, below are some of the line items you will see on your bill, with a bit of an explanation so you know where they have come from :)
- Carbon Neutral Offset / GreenPower Offset 100%
- You will see one or the other of these charges depending on the plan you are on with Amber (we have 2 plans - our default Carbon Neutral plan and our 100% GreenPower plan - you can read more about that here.)
- For our Carbon Neutral customers, this is our cost to offset the carbon caused by your grid power. We use it to buy carbon credits to offset the usage from the grid.
- For our GreenPower customers, this is the cost under the GreenPower scheme for us to buy additional Environmental Certificates on your behalf equal to 100% of your consumption.
- Environmental Certificate Cost
- This is the cost of purchasing Environmental certificates to meet various government schemes (the primary one being the Australian Renewable Energy Target).
- Under the Australian Renewable Energy Target, all retailers are obliged to buy Environmental Certificates equal to a Government-set threshold (currently ~20% of consumption from the grid)
- General Usage Wholesale (Av. Price)
- This is the amount we paid the market for the generation for your usage. The specific charges for each 30 minutes aren't included in your bill (for simplicity sake!) so we have just provided an average cost per kWh of your usage.
- If you want to learn more, data can be found here.
- It also includes the additional energy caused by Loss Factors in the Grid between generation and consumption (which are typically 3-5% across the grid).
- This is the amount that all retailers pay the market operator to run the energy market and provide grid stabilization services
- This is a daily fee, charged by the meter's owners (the metering companies) for access to your meter data.
- Amber - $10 per month
- This is our only margin for running the retail side of the business!
- Price Protection Hedging
- This is ensuring that even during price spikes - you are not paying more than Default Market Offer (DMO)
- Network - Fixed
- This is the fixed charge per day (or per year) that we need to pay your network for the use of their poles and wires (to connect your home to the total grid).
- It's a regulated amount, and so everyone gets charged the same rate.
- Network - Anytime Energy
- the charge we pay to the network per kWh of usage - this changes depending on what tariff you are on with your network.
- You may have multiple charges here with names like "peak" "off peak" and "shoulder," which would indicate you are on a network tariff that has different charges for your usage depending on when you have used electricity. These tariffs can sometimes be changed but every Network has different rules and regulations surrounding this. Get in touch with us if you would like to know more about your network tariff!